European Astronomical Society
EAS Job Directory
|Finance Manager (FM/01)||Closing date: 2017-06-30
Contact: Andrew Taylor
|Salary Range £40-45k plus Flexible Benefits
Job Title: Finance Manager
Reports to: Head of Administration (interim line manager)
Location: Jodrell Bank, Cheshire, UK
For details of how to apply, please see below.
The Square Kilometre Array (SKA) is a global project to build a multi-purpose radio telescope that will play a major role in answering key questions in modern astrophysics and cosmology. Ten governments are now participating in the project, with others engaged in discussions regarding possible membership. Over the next 18 months, this global headquarters will expand with the construction of an extension to the existing building to accommodate the additional staff needed for the Construction and Operations phases of the SKA telescope facilities that will ultimately be located in South Africa and Australia. Negotiations are currently underway between the governments of SKA member countries with the aim of establishing the SKA as an Inter-Governmental Organisation (IGO). These negotiations are expected to be concluded in 2017 and the IGO to be established thereafter.
The post holder will report to the Head of Administration (interim line manager). The key focus of this role is to undertake the day-to-day financial activities of the organisation. Initially, you will be the main person dealing with the company's finances and so will need to be able to demonstrate initiative, self-motivation and good communications skills, as well as an ability to work in a team. In return, we offer competitive terms of employment and a great working environment.
Key Duties, Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Maintaining accounts payable and accounts receivable ledgers;
- Preparing and presenting monthly management accounts, cash flow statements and spending reports;
- Handling all purchasing, payroll and pension activities;
- Ensuring compliance with VAT legislation;
- Finance administration, including updating internal systems with financial data, processing invoices, handling expense claims, and making credit card payments;
- Implementing, and ensure adherence to, the Company?s finance regulations, policies and procedures;
- Supporting the financial procedures for managing EU grant-funded projects;
- Keeping accurate records for all financial transactions;
- Maintaining systems of internal controls to safeguard financial assets of the SKA Office;
- Monitoring banking activities (incl. cash management) and reconciling bank statements;
- Participating in financial audits and helping to prepare year-end accounts;
- Supporting the engineering and project management teams in SKA Organisation in financial planning and overall project cost tracking activities;
- Supporting senior management in the process of planning the transition from the current company structure to the future IGO;
- Any other reasonable duties as directed by your manager or other member of the SLT;
Mandatory Qualifications, Experience and Knowledge
- A relevant accountancy or business qualification e.g. degree, AAT qualified or equivalent;
- Experience of finance administration using a computerised accounting system;
- Excellent numeracy and analytical skills;
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, including fluency in English plus proficiency in the official language of at least one other SKA Member country (e.g. Afrikaans, Dutch, Italian, Mandarin Chinese, Hindi or Swedish);
- Experience of implementing finance policies and procedures;
- Experience of preparing financial reports;
- Experience of carrying out payroll and pension activities;
- Experience of dealing with VAT;
- Proficiency in the use of MS Word and Excel (incl. pivot tables);
- Effective time management to ensure tight deadlines are met;
- Ability to exercise discretion and preserve confidentiality; and
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to keep accurate records.
Desirable Qualifications, Experience and Knowledge
Demonstrable experience of:
- Enterprise system software;
- SAGE accounts system;
- EU (Horizon 2020 and Framework Programme) grant-funded projects; and
- Working with external consultants.
For more information on the SKA project visit http://www.skatelescope.org. SKA Organisation offers a competitive salary, a generous company pension scheme and a flexible benefits package.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to jobs @ skatelescope.org, quoting reference FM/01. To be considered, applications must include:
1. Details of how you meet the essential and desirable criteria,
2. Details of your current remuneration, and
3. The names of two referees (one of which must be your previous employer).
Closing date for receipt of applications is 30 June 2017.
Equal Opportunities Statement
SKA Organisation is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. Our aim to is recruit and retain the most talented individuals, regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or nationality.
At all stages of the recruitment process and beyond, we strive to treat applicants and employees with a high standard of care, honesty and politeness.
Women have traditionally been under-represented in the fields of science and engineering; SKA Organisation welcomes and encourages female applicants.
Where applicants with a disability need facilities or adjustments to enable them to participate in the recruitment process, these will be provided. If you need equipment or adjustments to enable you to complete your application and/or attend an interview, then please let us know.
Links to other job lists
More on non-academic jobs