EAS Job Directory
|Junior System Engineer||Closing date: 2017-12-10
Contact: Andrew Taylor
|The Square Kilometre Array (SKA) is a global project to build a multi-purpose radio telescope that will play a major role in answering key questions in modern astrophysics and cosmology. It will be one of a small number of cornerstone observatories around the world that will provide astrophysicists and cosmologists with a transformational view of the Universe. The SKA will be constructed in two distinct phases. The major science goals for the first phase, SKA1, will be to study the history and role of neutral Hydrogen in the Universe from the dark ages to the present-day.|
|The Junior System Engineer will be a member of the SKA Office Telescope Engineering team and will report to the SKA Office Senior System Engineer. The post-holder will provide system engineering support to the System Engineers, and Domain Specialists.
The Junior System Engineers will support the System Engineers to ensure that the SKA system engineering products delivered are coherent with overall SKA Office project requirements.
The System Support Engineer assignment contributes to the overall System Engineering effort and, in particular, provides support in enterprise and system modelling. The assignee will work on the system level (observatory, site and telescope) modelling and will work with the project System Engineer to ensure coherency at Element level. In this regard, the assignee will help plan, implement and execute modelling at system level and will review modelling activity and products below this level. Ideally, the successful candidate will have previous relevant experience, but this is not essential.
The Junior System Engineer will have duties and responsibilities, which are detailed below.
Key Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Duties
- Provide support to the drafting and maintenance of system requirements, system functional analysis, used cases and system diagrams.
- Participate in Reviews from a System Engineering perspective.
- Under the direction of the Senior System Engineer, to provide key assistance to Telescope System Engineers, in carrying out their duties.
In addition to the duties listed in the general information above, this assignment will:
- Provide support in enabling Model Based System Engineering (MBSE)
- Help create and support a framework within which the system level modelling is to be carried out. This will include, under the direction of the Senior System Engineer, leading the design, specification, implementation, and maintenance of system level models.
- Participate in reviews, both from a general System Engineering perspective and from an MBSE standpoint.
- Work flexibly as necessary to ensure key project deadlines are met while engineering standards are maintained.
- Travel, as required, to any of the SKA countries.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as directed by the post holder?s line manager or a member of SKA Organisation Senior Management Team.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- University degree in Physics or Engineering, another closely related and relevant field, or equivalent expertise.
- Knowledge of system engineering standards.
- Knowledge of Model Based System Engineering or Model Based Engineering
- Knowledge of modelling language, (UML, Sysml, others)
- Good English oral and written communication skills.
- The ability to work well with colleagues from a broad range of countries and cultures.
- The ability to work well in a team with colleagues from both academic and commercial backgrounds.
- Good IT skills and experience of using Microsoft Office packages (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc) or equivalent.
- Willingness to represent the SKA Office in international and other forums, ability to work closely with regional SKA management staff from a variety of cultures, and willingness to travel to SKA consortium locations and centres.
- Willingness to work flexibly as required to meet project deadlines, and in connection with meetings and teleconferences with e.g. Australia.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
The following competencies are desirable:
- Experience of use of Model Based System Engineering tools such as CORE, Enterprise Architect, Papyrus, Others.
- Technical knowledge of radio astronomy instruments, and radio astronomy techniques.
- Knowledge of system engineering of large, high value R&D projects such as those in radio astronomy, space projects, telecommunications or defence
- Knowledge of design for volume production and/or in large-scale manufacturing and assembly
- Familiarity with the formalism for, and requirements of, quality control environments such as ISO9000.
- Membership of, or eligibility for, recognised national or international system engineering institutes (e.g. INCOSE).
How to apply:
Please send a CV and covering letter, including details of your current remuneration, to jobs @ skatelescope.org, quoting reference JSE/17. Applications should include a summary of your project experience, detailing how you meet the essential and desirable knowledge, skills and experience criteria, details of your current remuneration and the names of at least two professional referees, one of whom must be your current employer (or most recent employer if not currently working).
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is 10th December 2017.
When applying please state where you saw the vacancy advertised.
Equal Opportunities Statement:
SKA Organisation is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. Our aim to is recruit and retain the most talented individuals, regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or nationality.
At all stages of the recruitment process and beyond, we strive to treat applicants and employees with a high standard of care, honesty and politeness.
Women have traditionally been under-represented in the fields of science and engineering; SKA Organisation welcomes and encourages female applicants.
Where applicants with a disability need facilities or adjustments to enable them to participate in the recruitment process, these will be provided. If you need equipment or adjustments to enable you to complete your application and/or attend an interview then please let us know.
Links to other job lists
More on non-academic jobs