European Astronomical Society
EAS Job Directory
|Software Engineer / Project Manager||Closing date: 2018-03-09
Contact: Joe Liske
|Hamburg Observatory, an institute of the Department of Physics at Hamburg University, invites applications for the position of a Software Engineer / Project Manager. This is an indefinite, full-time position, also suitable for part-time employment.|
We are looking for a dedicated and creative individual to actively support various scientific and instrumentation projects in the areas of development of software infrastructure and project management. The successful applicant will play a central role in these astrophysical projects and will contribute to their success through a variety of activities in a stimulating and challenging environment.
This position represents the nucleus of a new group at Hamburg Observatory that will focus on software development in three areas:
- Instrumentation: control software and data reduction pipelines
- Large project support: administrative and database applications for large scientific collaborations
- eScience applications
Specific examples of tasks include:
- Maintenance and further development of an existing User Management System
- Development and implementation of web-based tools for the administration of individual scientific projects
- Development and implementation of tools for the analysis of simulation results concerning the execution of a long-term observational campaign
- Further development of a pipeline for the reduction of spectroscopic data
- Development of databases and related user interfaces, web services and visualization tools
- Development of a standard for tracking scientific data all the way to publications
- Preparation of project documentation (management plans, requirements, reports, etc.)
- Preparation and monitoring of schedules and resource plans
- Coordination of available resources
University degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, any of the Natural Sciences or similar.
Required expertise and personal skills:
- Fluent in at least one (preferably several) programming language(s) (e.g. Python, C or C++, Fortran, R, php, Java or similar)
- Experience with programming in a scientific context
- Experience with databases (SQL)
- Experience with web programming
- Proficient in common office applications
- Basic knowledge of project management incl. project management tools
- Ability to work in a team
- Very good communication skills
This position is remunerated at the level of "Entgeltgruppe 13 TV-L".
The Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg is an equal opportunity employer. Women are underrepresented in the area of the advertised position, as defined by the Hamburg Equal Opportunity Act (Hamburgisches Gleichstellungsgesetz). Women are therefore explicitly encouraged to apply. Given equal qualifications, female applicants will be treated preferentially.
We explicitly welcome applications from individuals with a migration history.
Severely disabled applicants will receive preference over equally qualified non-disabled applicants.
How to apply:
Prospective applicants are encouraged to contact Prof. Joe Liske for further information. Phone: +49 (0)40 / 42838 8582, email: jochen.liske @ uni-hamburg.de.
The closing date for applications is 09 March 2018. Please send your complete application, including a cover letter, your CV and a two-page description of your relevant achievements and experience, to:
Job reference: 606/1
or by email to: Bewerbungen @ verw.uni-hamburg.de
All applications must include the job reference number above.
Please note that applications will not be returned. So please do not submit any originals. Your documents will be destroyed after the vacancy has been filled.
Links to other job lists
More on non-academic jobs