European Astronomical Society
11th Council Meeting
September 10th, 17.00 to 18.30
September 11th, 12.00 to 12.30
The following members were present:
- Petr Heinzel (Council member)
- Maria Kontizas (Council member)
- Joachim Krautter (Council member)
- Teresa Lago (Council member, Secretary)
- Birgitta Nordstrom (Council member, Treasurer)
- Jean-Paul Zahn (Council member, President)
and in representation of the affiliated societies
- Nikolai Bochkarev (Eurasian Astronomical Society)
- Constanze la Dous (German Astronomical Society)
- Jan Palous (Czeck Astronomical Society)
- Izold Pustylnik (Estonian Astronomical Society)
- Voyto Rusin (Slovak Astronomical Society)
- Ivor Shmelds (Latvian Astronomical Society)
- Magda Stavinschi (Romanian Astronomical Society).
In attendance Edith Thomas (EAS Secretariat).
Apologies were received from Francisco Sanchez (Council member, Vice-President).
- 1 - The Agenda was adopted.
- 2 - The Minutes of the previous Council Meeting (Thessaloniki, July
1997) were approved.
- 3 - The following decisions were taken:
- To keep the membership fees at the present level.
- To accept the offer of the French Astronomical Society to organize
the 1999 JENAM Meeting in Toulouse, during the week 6th - 11th of September.
- To use the Development Fund at a level up to 5,000 SF per year for
travel grants for young astronomers from eastern countries until the Fund
- To take up to 3,000 SF from the reserve to pay the travel of young
astronomers to attend the next EAS meeting.
- To ask for donations to set up a new "Travel Fund" to stimulate
young astronomers in Europe to attend the EAS meetings.
- Although acknowledging the pending offer to organize the 2000 JENAM
in Moscow, to postpone any decision on the location in view of the IAU
General Assembly to take place also in 2000, August 7th - 19th, in Manchester.
Teresa Lago, Secretary to EAS
Porto 7 July 1999