European Astronomical Society
6th Business Meeting
Prague, 1998 September 11th
Present were 69 members. The list of names and signatures is enclosed.
The President opened the meeting at 11.05 a.m. welcoming the participants.
- 1 - The Agenda was adopted.
- 2 - The minutes of the previous Business Meeting in Thessaloniki, 5th
July 1997, were approved.
- 3 - The President thanked the Czeck Astronomical Society for the organization
of JENAM 1998 and for the hospitality.
- 4 - Mary Kontizas reported on the Newsletter and the first Young Astronomer's
Forum which involved 90 young participants and 15 active astronomers around
She also propoeds to start new activities within EAS, namely:
- to contact european Observatories to dedicate 1 week per year of telescope
time to young astronomers who do not have the possibility of access to
- to initiate a survey of european PhD thesis/holders in Astronomy.
One of the members raised the question of whom would pay for such observing
- 5 - Michel Dennefeld presented the EAS Webpage (http://www.iap.fr/eas/index.html)
and he proposed the use of a mailing list for quick access and communication.
- 6 - The Treasurer reported on the budget and informed that the 1997
accounts had been audited by Michel Dennefeld and Marek Wolf.
- 7 - In connection with the Past and Future EAS Activities Paul Fellenbock
questioned whether the EAS should not adopt to have a meeting every two
years instead of an annual meeting. An exchange of views involving several
members followed but the decision was to maintain the present model.
The President closed the meeting at 12.15 a.m.
Teresa Lago, Secretary to EAS
Porto, 14th July 1999