European Astronomical Society
EAS Job Directory
|JUNIOR GROUP LEADER (F*M) in Space Instrumentation||Closing date: 2022-03-31
Contact: Cosima Muck
|The Space Research Institute (IWF) is with about 100 employees from twenty nations one of the largest institutes of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW). The institute is located in the Victor Franz Hess Research Center of OeAW in the south of Graz. The IWF also operates a world-leading satellite laser ranging station at the Lustbühel Observatory. |
|Job ID: IWF184JGL121
The Space Research Institute (IWF) is with about 100 employees from twenty nations one of the largest institutes of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW). The institute is located in the Victor Franz Hess Research Center of OeAW in the south of Graz. The IWF also operates a world-leading satellite laser ranging station at the Lustbühel Observatory. The Space Research Institute invites applications for a position as
JUNIOR GROUP LEADER (F*M)
in Space Instrumentation
(full-time, 40h per week)
We invite ambitious candidates who are interested in technology development for new and existing fields of scientific instruments at the IWF. We strive for a tight collaboration between instrumentation and space science as we understand instrumentation as science enabler.
- PhD in engineering or physics/astrophysics
- Experiences in development of space-qualified instrumentation and related engineering disciplines: electrical, electronics, mechanical, software, quality assurance as well as other engineering fields which fit to the scientific activities of the institute
- Proven track record in development of at least one spaceborne instrument or in leading subunit development or in being responsible for one of the mentioned engineering fields
- Proven track-record in project and in people management
- Leading an existing research group with focus on instrument development and development support in direct link with the IWF?s research activities
- Management (jointly with senior engineers of the research group) of already existing projects (Router and Data Compression Unit for PLATO and IWF?s contribution for SXI aboard SMILE to be finalised; Digital Processing Unit for MANiaC aboard Comet Interceptor and IWF?s contribution for the Wide Field Imager aboard ATHENA under preparation)
- Initiation of new developments in accordance with the scientific core activities of IWF
- Technical and financial proposal writing and reporting
- Coordination of all activities to fulfil technical and schedule requirements
- Supervision of group members, incl. PhD students and PostDocs
- Publication activities
The appointment begins as early as September 01, 2022 for initially 4 years with the option for tenure track. More senior applicants can be offered the position of a group leader for an initial duration of 6 years with a tenure-track option. We offer an annual gross salary of ? 54.661,32 for a junior group leader according to the collective agreement of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. Group leaders expect a higher enumeration.
Applications must include a cover letter, their curriculum vitae, list of publications, a statement of the applicant's research experience (2 pages) and a research plan (1 page), certificates for full academic record, and the full contact information for two references letters. Please send the application as one PDF file, to cosima.muck @ oeaw.ac.at, mentioning Job ID: IWF184JGL121, no later than 31 March 2022. Inquiries about the position should be directed to Cosima Muck.
The Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW) pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity. Individuals from underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
Links to other job lists
More on non-academic jobs