European Astronomical Society
EAS Job Directory
|MID Integration Engineer||Closing date: 2021-05-07
Contact: Claire Taylor
|A unique opportunity in South Africa for an electronic engineering professional with experience in the Integration, Testing and Verification of large scientific, technology or engineering projects.
To apply online please visit our recruitment portal: https://recruitment.skatelescope.org/vacancy/mid-integration-engineer-438642.html
The MID Integration Engineer will play a key role in the construction of the SKA1 Observatory MID Radio Telescope in South Africa.
The MID Integration Engineer will report to the MID AIV Lead Engineer who has the overall system Assembly, Integration and Verification (AIV) responsibility for the SKA1 MID Radio Telescope.
The MID Integration Engineer will help establish and manage a small competent team in Cape Town to support the integration, testing, verification and de-bugging of products arriving from Suppliers at the Integration Test Facility (ITF).
The MID Integration Engineer will work together with the MID AIV Manager, who is provided by SARAO as part of the MID AIV Work Package. The MID AIV Team is responsible for carrying out integration and tests, for developing scripts and procedures, and for the overall verification of the MID Telescope System Requirements.
The MID Integration Engineer will support and coordinate with the MID AIV Manager and the MID Product Delivery Team (PDT) located at the SKAO headquarters in the UK to ensure that the SKA1 MID Telescope becomes ready for an Operational Readiness Review at the end of the construction phase, before the handover to the Operations Team.
The MID Integration Engineer is a member of the MID PDT, a multidisciplinary team responsible for the ?delivery? of MID products. Within the MID PDT the MID Integration Engineer provides engineering support and technical leadership, both in her/his specific discipline and across the entire MID telescope.
This role will be based in Cape Town, South Africa, and will be known internally as Mid System ITF Manager.
Key Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Duties
- Deputise if required for the MID Lead AIV Engineer.
- Supporting establishment and overseeing a small competent SARAO team as well as providing a high standard of technical support and safety management to all areas of the Integration Test Facility.
- Integrating and maintaining a subset of the MID Telescope (System Under Test) and its Test Environment at the ITF, developing procedures and scripts for automatic and remote testing and logging of the system under test.
- Leading and providing technical expertise and guidance for evaluation, verification and performance review of the System Under Test.
- Supporting the MID Telescope System Requirements verification in the Integration Test Facility, coordinating with the AIV MID Team workflows and procedures at the ITF and being followed on-site.
- Attending training provided by international suppliers and providing technical training to the AIV MID Team, Science Commissioning and Operation users.
- Cooperating with the Project Office Planning Manager, the MID PDT and the MID AIV Manager in the development, reviewing and optimization of the planning and preparation of the Integration Test Facility and on-site AIV activities.
- Attending and supporting test activities at suppliers and prototype integration facilities.
- Occasional national and international travel to suppliers will be required (typically 3-4 times a year for one or two weeks).
Mandatory Knowledge, Skills and Experience
The successful candidate will have:
- Relevant professional experience (typically at least three years) in the AIV and commissioning of large multidisciplinary high technology projects.
- A proven track record of successfully addressing hardware and software issues with suppliers, with the ability to identify, manage and solve complex and novel technical issues through engineering analysis and out of the box thinking.
- A proven record of successful technical delivery in the field of assembling, integrating, testing and verifying of large electronic multidisciplinary projects.
- A good understanding of standard Project Management tasks and concepts, such as structural breakdowns, schedule and resource planning, change and risk management, in order to be able to deputise for the Lead Engineer.
- Be able and keen to build, develop and lead a small engineering team, working as part of a larger team.
- Be able to communicate with and influence effectively senior technical experts.
- Be a flexible team player who is adaptable to change.
- Be willing and able to travel as required.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Membership of or eligibility for membership of recognised national or international system engineering institutes.
- Experience in design verification for volume production and/or in large-scale manufacturing and assembly.
- Experience in the area of Quality Assurance.
- Software development and integration for scientific projects.
- Knowledge of Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe).
- Experience of leading and managing a team.
- Experience of Project Management.
Links to other job lists
More on non-academic jobs