The SKAO Group is seeking to employ a talented and motivated person to be the Engineering Management Systems Engineer. The successful candidate will be responsible for the management, integration and implementation of Engineering and Maintenance software products. They will act as an expert focal point for software development teams, providing knowledge, expertise and guidance. The role, therefore, calls for an organised individual who understands, or is able to quickly acquire, system knowledge in the area of Engineering Management Systems, especially in the context of radio astronomy telescopes.
To manage the software development of the project, the SKA has adopted the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFeŽ) for Lean/Agile development processes. Within the Operations Group the Engineering Management Systems Engineer will play a leading role in specifying interfaces that will be developed by the SAFe programme. In addition, the Engineering Management Systems Engineer will manage the integration of Engineering Data Archives, Maintenance Management, and Failure Information Systems.
The Engineering Management Systems Engineer will report to the RAM/Logistics Systems Engineer and will be based in the SKA Global Headquarters located at Jodrell Bank (Cheshire) in the UK.
Full-time hours will be 35 hours per week. Flexible working arrangements are possible in agreement with the Line Manager as long as contributions to telescope delivery are not impacted.
Key Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Duties
Working as a member of the Engineering Performance Group within SKA Operations, the Engineering Management Systems Engineer will drive and manage the development of interfaces between different software systems that will include:
- Telescope Control Systems;
- Engineering Data Archives;
- Telescope Operations Planning Tools;
- Building Management Systems;
- Configuration Management System;
- Electronic Documentation System;
- Common Source Database (CSDB);
- Maintenance Management System;
- Failure Recording System;
- Problem Reporting, Tracking and Ticketing Systems.
The Engineering Management Systems Engineer is also responsible for communication, integration, and co-operation among all relevant operational teams at the SKA Observatory in Australia, South Africa and the United Kingdom.
The Engineering Management Systems Engineer will play a leading role to plan, develop, test, deploy, release, and maintain the operation and maintenance solutions. In addition, they will:
- Be responsible for managing the development of software interfaces and features;
- Be responsible for the integration of the EMS into operational SKA environments in Australia, South Africa and the United Kingdom;
- Identify requirements for data archives;
- Act as an interface with the SAFe program;
- Support the Operations Group by developing the Engineering and Maintenance data structures;
- Lead Requirements definitions;
- Lead Architecture definitions;
- Provide Software Implementation Training to the maintenance personnel;
- Lead electronic documentation web portal development;
- Communicate and collaborate with international operational teams;
- Travel to all of the observatory locations in Australia, South Africa, and the United Kingdom as required.
Mandatory Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- University degree or equivalent in Engineering or a closely related field or equivalent experience;
- Membership (or eligibility for membership) of a recognised national or international engineering institute;
- Experience (typically at least 10 years) in software engineering, in radio astronomy, telecommunications, defence or another closely related field;
- Experience in integration of software products;
- Experience in Configuration Management Systems;
- Experience in Maintenance Management Systems (MMS);
- Experience in Failure Data Analysis and engineering software systems;
- Experience in international projects with the ability to work effectively with engineers, maintenance personnel and scientists in a multi-cultural environment;
- Good English verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to influence stakeholders in a complex organisation;
- >Ability to plan and organise work effectively, and act independently and decisively;
- Ability to analyse data, identify issues and propose solutions;
- A flexible team player who is adaptable to change;
- Ability and willingness to travel nationally and internationally as required (typically for one week a few times a year, and subject to current international travel limitations).
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience using interfaces such as Jira - API and development environment, eB - API and configuration management software, netTerrain - API, Confluence - API, Logistic Support Analysis Systems, Control Systems and TANGO;
- Experience using electronic documentation software such as ASD S1000D specification and or DITA, Common Source Database (CSDB), Content Management Systems, Structured and xml documentation;
- Experience using a SAFe Framework;
- Experience in Jira ticketing systems, or similar.