European Astronomical Society
EAS Job Directory
|Head of International Relations||Closing date: 2022-05-06
Contact: Hiring Manager
|A unique opportunity for an experienced professional with excellent diplomatic skills, credibility and strategic and tactical thinking to join an international team and support the delivery of the world?s largest observatory dedicated to radio astronomy.|
|The Head of International Relations will play a key part of the Director General?s Office and the work of the SKA Observatory (SKAO). Supporting the Director General and the SKAO?s Executive Leadership Team, you will lead on all international relations activities, ensuring that the SKAO effectively maintains and develops institutional relationships with its Member governments, partner organisations, groups and individuals in order to support delivery of its mission to construct the world?s largest observatory dedicated to radio astronomy.
The Head of International Relations will be part of a small team and as a high-profile, externally visible, first point of contact for the SKAO in many areas, will interact daily with members of the DG?s Office, the Executive Leadership Team, the Director-General and regularly with senior members of the SKAO Council and other stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced professional with a broad skillset including highly developed diplomatic skills, excellent judgement and communication ability, the wherewithal to think both strategically and tactically at the interface between political, policy and programmatic issues, and possess the credibility to initiate, develop and then maintain external and institutional relationships relevant to all aspects of the SKAO?s business.
The role will be based at the SKAO?s Headquarters at Jodrell Bank Observatory, Cheshire, UK, and flexibility around working hours will be accommodated in agreement with the Line Manager where operationally viable.
Key Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Duties
The Head of International Relations will work closely with senior management (within the Director General?s Office and routinely at Executive Leadership level) and senior stakeholders across the SKAO to:
- Own the international/strategic external relationship approach for the SKAO and take proactive responsibility for developing and maintaining effective and productive interactions with all external/international political/Member stakeholders at all required levels across the SKAO.
- Lead activities with the Director General, senior leaders and Council to support the ongoing sustainability and growth of the SKAO?s Membership, through strategic negotiations and interactions at all required levels as required by Council and the Director General through delegated authority.
- Work with other members of the team and beyond (including with the SKAO Programmes team) to provide guidance, direction and input on relevant international, policy and membership matters as required by the Executive Leadership Team, the Council and its stakeholders.
- Represent the SKAO in external, strategic or international forums, acting as an advocate for the Observatory, its Membership and its activities in discussions on international strategic, oversight and advisory bodies as required.
- Support the Council as required on all relevant aspects of its work programme, interacting with other areas of the DG?s Office and owning packages of work, reporting and presenting them to Council and its stakeholders.
- Lead the International Relations group and support the extensive and varied portfolio of work of the Director General?s Office and in particular, the work of the Strategy, Secretariat and Communications teams where interactions take place with the SKAO?s stakeholders.
Mandatory Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience of operating at a senior level within an international scientific and research landscape.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to convey complex and potentially sensitive information to a variety of audiences.
- Excellent track record in quickly building and maintaining successful stakeholder relationships at all levels of seniority.
- Confidence and assurance to act as an ambassador for SKAO and its interests in an international environment.
- Ability to work with high levels of ambiguity in a reactive and responsive manner.
- Excellent organisational ability and time management skills.
- Possess the appropriate level of impact and the ability to present effectively within a diverse range of stakeholders and situations.
- Well developed, and positioned, judgment making.
- Resilient and adaptable approach.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Prior experience, or exposure, to working within an Intergovernmental or International organisation.
- Experience working within international relations or a closely associated field.
- Ability to absorb a wide range of information, including on policy and technical topics, from a variety of sources and consider the wider implications for SKAO.
- Professionally qualified, likely to degree or advanced degree level or equivalent experience.
- Excellent networking, negotiating and influencing capability.
- Sound decision making process taking into consideration the wider political and international context.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Knowledge of commonly-used IT Systems such as MS Office, Confluence, Google Docs.
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally as required.
Full details and apply here: https://recruitment.skao.int/vacancy/head-of-international-relations-479151.html
Links to other job lists
More on non-academic jobs