European Astronomical Society
EAS Job Directory
|Network Architect (10197)||Closing date: 2022-05-13
Contact: Hiring Manager
|An ideal opportunity for an experienced Network Architect with a 'hands on' approach and a background in the deployment and support of large, complex network systems to join an international, multicultural team and tackle some big challenges.|
|The Network Architect will operate at the forefront of work initiatives within SKAO which are designing, documenting, procuring and implementing the large scale, high bit rate, leading edge, high performance networks that are required to run the SKA telescopes.
The Network Architect will report to the Computing Infrastructure Lead and will be part of the SKAO?s Computing and Software team, who is responsible for the end to end architecture design, build out and operations of the SKA?s networks.
Working alongside and collaborating with other specialists including IT architects, engineers, project managers and system engineers, the Network Architect will help ensure the networks for the two SKA telescopes are fit for purpose and always deliverthe quality of performance needed to form the backbone of a highly technically demanding system that will operate and be continually developed for decades to come.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced, knowledgeable and highly motivated Network Engineer keen to take a ?hands on? approach to tackle some big challenges.
This role will be based at the SKAO Headquarters at Jodrell Bank, Cheshire, UK, and flexibility around working hours will be accommodated in agreement with the Line Manager and where operationally viable.
Key Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Duties
- Develop the technical requirements and scope for SKA network procurement contracts, including:
+Working with stakeholders to capture, refine and document the network requirements for the SKA telescopes.
+Participating in and leading on network design initiatives as required.
+Developing and maintaining up-to-date, clear, well structured, compliant and usable technical documents needed to define the network and how they will be implemented and tested.
+Participating in additional technical support activities as required, e.g. for procurement, integration, testing, acceptance commissioning, operations etc.
+Monitoring the network design content held in repositories and highlight quality issues such as omissions, conflicts, or errors. Where directed, lead or participate in the resolution of quality issues.
- Support the network and computing procurement processes by:
+Analysing tender responses from bidders in order to help select the suppliers who will deliver for SKAO.
+Working with the successful suppliers by responding to technical queries etc. in a timely manner.
+Working with the wider SKAO computing and software teams in South Africa and Australia to ensure that suppliers are supported and strong relationships are maintained.
- Liaise with the wider SKAO computing and software teams in the UK, South Africa and Australia, providing technical input and guidance as required.
- Support SKAO design authorities in other areas by providing network design change impact analysis and assistance with implementation actions.
- Be an active and integral part of the SKAO global network team.
Mandatory Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- University degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience.
- Significant experience in the design and implementation of large network systems with a demonstrable understanding of new and emerging networking and security technologies.
- Experience of providing technical input for high value network equipment procurement and supporting the installation, testing etc. in an evolving environment.
- Experience of practical project delivery, working within defined budgets and timelines, communicating with diverse teams, and change management practices.
- Understanding of Lean Principles, including the importance of understanding customer needs, not just their perceived requirements, maintaining good supplier relationships and the minimisation of waste in business processes.
- Good communication and influencing skills.
- Be a flexible team player who is adaptable to change.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Knowledge, understanding and experience of some of the following:
+Large scale high performance computing (HPC) environments, in particular the specialist networks used in HPC.
+Software defined networking systems and associated hardware.
+Zero trust networking principles.
+Future technology developments to come this decade such as silicon photonics and data centre disaggregation.
+Long haul data transmission technology.
- Experience working in a scientific or industrial research environment.
- Experience working with national and regional education networks (NRENs).
- An interest in Astronomy.
- Experience of collaboration and work flow management tools such as Atlassian Confluence and Jira.
- Experience working in a multicultural and/or geographically dispersed team.
Full details and apply here: https://recruitment.skao.int/vacancy/network-architect-480882.html
Links to other job lists
More on non-academic jobs