The tasks conform to the collective agreement of the universities §26(2) and (5); they comprise as the main activities:
1) Scientific work within project participations in the framework of international co-operations, and/or direct scientific involvement in these projects (e.g., in working groups, science teams, access to observations). Space missions in which such participation is possible include PLATO, ARIEL, SMILE, and Athena.
2) Research within the research focus "planetary habitability" of the star and planet formation group of Univ.-Prof. Dr. Manuel Guedel, including topics related to stellar magnetic activity, flares, and radiation in the context of star-planet interactions. This also includes support for related organisational and administrative matters (budgets, organisation of meetings).
Further tasks include,
3) conducting independent teaching as defined by the collective agreement and organising exams
4) supervision/co-supervision of students
5) contributions to general organisational and administrative tasks as well as evaluation procedures
The specific tasks can be adjusted to ongoing and new projects.
- doctoral degree in astronomy or astrophysics
- several years of experience in astrophysical research and in large astronomical projects - knowledge of programming languages, e.g. Fortran, C, C++, Python, etc.
- excellent command of written and spoken English
- good team-working ability
- excellent communication skills
- experience in student supervision
Applications should include a motivation letter, a CV, a publication list, a summary of past research (max. 1 page), and a description of proposed research (max. 1 page). They should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 08 June 2021, mentioning reference number 12042.
For further information please contact Manuel Guedel, manuel.guedel @ univie.ac.at.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Extent of Employment: 40 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 lit. b (postdoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.