European Astronomical Society
EAS Job Directory
|Postdoctoral Researcher in Galactic or Extragalactic Star Formation||Closing date: 2021-10-24
Contact: Francesco Belfiore
|The Osservatorio Astrofisico di Arcetri, part of the Istituto Nazionale di Astrofisica (INAF), in Florence, Italy, invites application for a postdoctoral researcher to work in the field of star formation in either the Galactic or extragalactic context. The position is funded by a grant aimed at developing the scientific expertise necessary to support the science exploitation of the Sardinia Radio Telescope (SRT), and its new high-frequency receiver, in synergy with ALMA.|
|We are particularly interested in applicants pursuing research in one of the four research themes detailed below.
1. Dynamics and/or astrochemistry of high-mass star forming regions in the Galaxy.
2. Large-scale chemical mapping of molecular clouds and the relation between chemistry and star formation.
3. Theoretical and observational relations between molecular gas, dust, metallicity and star formation indicators in local spirals, using ALMA and SRT.
4. Mapping of multiple molecular lines in nearby galaxies to study the effect of local environment on the formation of dense gas, its relations with star formation and metallicity.
Knowledge and experience in radio astronomy, and in particular sub-mm spectroscopic observations, and commissioning of radio instruments are of particular interest and should be noted in the CV.
A PhD in physics, astronomy or related discipline is required by the application deadline (or for candidates who have not yet been awarded their PhD, 3 full years of research experience at the time of the application deadline). The position has an expected start date before 15 December 2021, and is tenable for 1 year, renewable for up to three years.
Applications must consist of
- Application form, including Annexes A and B. An English translation is provided only for reference, candidates need to submit the application forms (Allegato A, B) in Italian. Submission of the English forms is not allowed.
- Holders of non-Italian degrees that have not been formally declared equivalent to an Italian degree by the Italian Ministry of Education must also complete Annex C and attach a signed self-declaration (extra document, not provided) that they have started the procedure necessary to request the above-mentioned equivalence. Forms must be presented in Italian.
- A copy of a valid identity document (ID card for EU citizens [both sides] or passport for non-EU citizens);
- A brief statement that describes current and future research plans and their relevance to the science themes described above, and links with the SRT high-frequency receiver, in English or Italian. The research statement should not exceed 3 pages (text, figures and references included) with a font size no smaller than 12pt Times New Roman (or equivalent);
- A list of publications, and optionally additional documents and certifications which the applicant considers necessary;
- A list of all submitted documents;
All the Annexes (A, B, C) and English translations (only for reference) are available here
The deadline for applications is 24 October 2021, 23:59, local time in Florence, Italy.
The application must be submitted electronically to the email address inafoaarcetri @ pcert.postecert.it, listing the following line in the subject string "CIR01_00010-OR1 Domanda per Assegno Post Dottorato DD 113/2021".
Italian nationals are required under penalty of exclusion to submit the application using a PEC email address.
Short-listed candidate will be invited for an online interview.
In case the winning candidate holds a non-Italian degree, which has not been declared equivalent to an Italian Degree by the Italian Ministry of Education, they are required to submit to INAF a "dichiarazione di valore in loco", an official document obtainable from the Italian Embassy in the country were the degree was awarded, before they can sign the employment contract. INAF cannot unfortunately take any responsibility for delays associated in obtaining the "dichiarazione di valore in loco". We strongly advise interested candidate to contact the relevant Italian Embassy as soon as possible.
The gross salary is Euro 28.000,00 Eur/year and is exempt from Italian income tax. Employment conditions include social benefits (healthcare, including dependents, sick leave, maternity leave) granted according to applicable Italian regulations.
Links to other job lists
More on non-academic jobs