European Astronomical Society
EAS Job Directory
|Senior Project Manager SKA-Mid (10131)||Closing date: 2021-05-21
Contact: Claire Taylor
|At SKAO we are coordinating a global effort to deliver the largest science facility on the planet. The SKA will be a next-generation radio telescope that will help to answer key questions in astrophysics, drive technological innovation and support human capital development.
A unique opportunity for an experienced project manager who enjoys delivering complex engineering projects with international teams in a multicultural environment.
To apply online please visit our recruitment portal: https://recruitment.skatelescope.org/vacancy/senior-project-manager-skamid-441728.html
The Senior Project Manager SKA-Mid will be responsible for the overall delivery of the SKA1-Mid telescope facility to the agreed plan. The SKA1-Mid telescope facility includes over 130 dishes as well as the networking and processing equipment, software and infrastructure needed to support them.
The Senior Project Manager SKA-Mid will provide guidance to the delivery teams in the management of external contract products and services through to acceptance, leading on all status reporting, planning and control (cost, schedule, scope, quality, risk, issue, safety and change management) for the SKA1-Mid facility and ensuring that all stakeholders are appropriately engaged and informed.
Reporting to the Head of Project Management, the Senior Project Manager SKA-Mid will work closely with the Programme Director and lead the Mid Telescope Delivery Team, which is the highest management authority for the facility level of the SKA Observatory and solution level for software development.
The successful candidate will be organised, detail oriented, pragmatic and mission-focused, will enjoy managing, planning, coordinating and aligning roadmaps with multinational teams and stakeholders, and will have the drive and capability to ensure that the SKA1-Mid telescope is delivered as planned.
The role is based in the UK but the post holder will be expected to travel nationally and internationally.
Full-time hours will be 35 hours per week and flexible working may be considered compatible with reviews, milestones and sites activities.
Key Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Duties
The Senior Project Manager SKA-Mid will:
- Represent the SKA1-Mid facility at Observatory level internally and externally;
- Lead the remaining Procurement Preparation activities for the SKA1-Mid telescope;
- Work with procurement specialists and members of the Assurance and Operations teams as needed;
- Lead the matrixed SKA1-Mid project team;
- Line manage Project Managers dedicated to Mid and matrix manage others involved in the delivery of both telescopes, as appropriate;
- During the Construction stage, oversee the management of the SKA1-Mid construction contracts;
- Ensure project controls implementation and delivery of SKA1-Mid to the expected cost, time and quality parameters;
- Ensure all stakeholders are appropriately engaged and informed;
- Successfully deliver the SKA1-Mid telescope and handover to Operations;
- Undertake the necessary training in order to perform in their role successfully (e.g. NEC contracts, occupational health and safety, etc.);
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as directed by the Head of Project Management or a member of the SKA Observatory Senior Leadership Team;
- Undertake frequent travel to the SKA telescope site in South Africa and occasional international travel to contractor sites (usually for one week 5-6 times a year).
Mandatory Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Recognised university degree-level education/training in engineering or physical sciences;
- Membership of, or eligibility for membership of, recognised national or international project management and/or engineering institutes;
- A proven track record of managing delivery of complex engineering projects in a multi-disciplinary, international setting (typically at least 10 years);
- Experience of successfully managing contract deliveries as client or contractor;
- Experience of project management of engineering projects within a radio astronomy/telecommunications/defence/space or systems development environment;
- Ability to learn and embrace new technologies and use hybrid waterfall and agile delivery methodologies;
- Strong analytical and organisational skills;
- People management and team leadership skills with experience of working collaboratively with geographically dispersed teams over multiple companies and time-zones;
- Experience in leading professional staff/project team with the ability to coach and mentor;
- Ability to influence and change behaviour through effective relationship building;
- Fluent in the English language with excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Flexible team player who is adaptable to change;
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally as required (usually for one week 5-6 times a year).
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Post-graduate qualification in management, engineering or physical sciences;
- Experience of delivery of engineering projects in Southern Africa;
- Experience in NEC contracting;
- Experience in large scale science infrastructure projects;
- Experience with project management tools such as Primavera or Microsoft Project and with collaboration tools such as Confluence, Jira, G-Suite, Miro etc.
- Familiarity with the formalism for, and requirements of, quality control environments such as ISO9001.
Links to other job lists
More on non-academic jobs