EAS Job Directory
|Engineer - Technical Writer||Closing date: 2022-09-22
Contact: Hiring Manager
|An amazing opportunity for an experienced technical writer to develop and support a technical information database for the operation of the world's largest radio telescopes.
Apply here: https://recruitment.skao.int/vacancy/engineer-technical-writer-479629.html
|At the SKAO we are coordinating a global effort to deliver one of the largest science facilities on the planet. The SKAO telescopes will be next-generation instruments that will help to answer key questions in astrophysics, drive technological innovation and support human capital development.
More than a dozen partner countries and over a thousand scientists and engineers around the world are already on board, making the SKA project an international collaboration like no other, and one of the most ambitious science and engineering endeavours of the 21st century.
Headquartered in the UK, with telescope sites in Australia and South Africa, the SKAO will be one observatory operating two telescopes, an endeavour spanning three continents. Multinational by design, in early 2021 the SKAO became an intergovernmental organisation, one of only a select handful of science infrastructures to do so worldwide.
Reporting to the Head of Engineering Performance, the Engineer - Technical Writer will be part of the SKA Operations Group where they will restructure and develop data modules and work packages, and ensure that financial, quality and timeframe objectives are met.
The Engineer - Technical Writer will establish and continually develop a Common Source Database (CSDB) required for the operations and maintenance of the SKA Telescopes located in Australia and South Africa, and will play a leading role in specifying the format and contents that will be provided by contractors during the construction phase.
The Engineer - Technical Writer will be responsible for the management and re-packaging of the Maintenance and Operational data and procedures into data modules. They will also integrate information received from the construction contractors and will be responsible for developing an interactive electronic technical publication system using Confluence.
SKAO is committed to providing a flexible working environment meeting the requests of our Colleagues whilst also fulfilling the needs and objectives of the Observatory. We encourage open conversations during the interview and application process in relation to any specific requirements, and later with line managers to assess individual flexible working arrangements alongside the needs of the organisation and responsibilities and accountabilities of the specific role and team.
There may be occasions where this role requires the post holder to work across different time zones and, in line with SKAO policy, flexible working hours will be supported in agreement with the line manager.
Key Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Duties
- Develop and format the Operational and Maintenance information into data modules, and ensure the engineering activities are delivered effectively and meet safety, scheduling, cost and quality objectives.
- Develop, author and edit data modules to be used by the Operational and Maintenance personnel at the SKA Telescopes sites in Australia and South Africa.
- Integrate, review and approve the data modules into a Common Source Database (CSDB).
- Publish and distribute technical documentation and publications.
- Manage the technical documentation workload, including documentation received from contractors and external partners, ensuring work is allocated appropriately and resources are fully utilised.
- Coach and mentor colleagues to share learning and experience and contribute to the development of SKA Operations and Maintenance information management capabilities.
- Identify and assess potential safety and security implications of proposed activities, taking the relevant corrective action or escalating to the relevant manager to ensure a safe and secure working environment for all.
Mandatory Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Degree in Electronics Engineering, Physics, Applied Physics or another closely related and relevant field, or equivalent experience.
- Significant technical authoring experience in engineering research and development projects, in radio astronomy, astronomy, telecommunications or defence, or a broad electronic technical publication knowledge.
- Experience in electronic technical documentation projects with an ability to provide direction and mentoring for others.
- Experience of ASD S1000D specification and/or DITA technical authoring, including Common Source Database (CSDB), Data Module Content Management Systems, structured documentation and xml editing.
- Up to date knowledge of external issues (legislative, regulatory, best practice standards etc.) including safety areas.
- Experience of using collaboration environments, such as Confluence, to create a technical documentation database.
- Good English oral and written communication skills with the ability to influence people in widely differing parts of a complex organisation.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Membership, or eligibility for membership, of recognised national or international institutes.
- Experience with Jira ticketing environment.
- Experience using authoring tools such as Adobe FrameMaker, Adobe Robohelp, Microsoft Word, WordPress, Acrobat (for PDF creation).
- Experience in illustration software such as Adobe Illustrator, Visio, SmartDraw, PaintShop Pro, PhotoShop.
- Experience of using configuration management software and or Logistic Support Analysis Systems.
SKA Observatory welcome all candidates, especially those from member countries. Our aim is to recruit and retain the most talented individuals, regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, nationality or background.
Women have traditionally been under-represented in the fields of science and engineering; SKA Observatory welcomes and encourages female applicants.
Where applicants with a disability need facilities or adjustments to enable them to participate in the recruitment process, these will be provided.
Links to other job lists
More on non-academic jobs